As we all grapple with the alarming statistics related to the spread of the virus, we are left wondering what we, as individuals and organizations, can do to help and how we can protect our loved ones. Several companies have stepped up to address the situation in more ways than one. Intel announced that it is pledging $50 million to combat the spread of the virus, in addition to the donation of 1 million masks, gloves and other equipment to health care workers.
One aspect that has been a topic of widespread discussion is Artificial Intelligence (AI), specifically around how AI can be used to combat COVID-19 – from response to readiness to prevention. From the development of contactless crowd monitoring solutions to rapid diagnosis to treatment and prevention (including fast-paced vaccine development), AI is playing a crucial role in propelling innovation. In December 2019, an AI-based platform called BlueDot which scans data from various sources, detected a cluster of pneumonia-like illnesses in Wuhan, China. Today, we know this was ground zero for the coronavirus pandemic. Without BlueDot, it may have taken much longer for the world to become aware of this highly infectious virus. Researchers trying to learn more about and treat the COVID-19 disease are now inundated with information; AI can help them sift through all that data in order to find the most pertinent details to help them make better, faster and often life-saving decisions.
Several members of the Intel AI Builders ecosystem are also independently engaged in developing solutions to accelerate the detection, diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19, as well as preventing its spread, by leveraging AI technologies. Read on to learn more about what some1 of our Intel AI Builder partners are doing and how they are stepping up to develop and deliver relevant solutions during this time:2
- Darwin AI has created COVIDNet – a convolutional neural network for COVID-19 detection via chest radiography in conjunction with the University of Waterloo – which they have open-sourced.
- HooBOX has developed a contactless fever detection solution as part of a multi-pronged approach to screen COVID-19 cases. It is currently being deployed at the largest hospital in Brazil.
- PRC-based Huiying Medical has developed a medical imaging diagnostic solution that uses CT chest scans to assist with early detection of coronavirus infections. Similarly, Konduit.AI has an AI-assisted CT Scan diagnosis platform (Axial.ai), resulting from a joint development project led by Shanghai Research Centre for Brain Science and Brain-Inspired Intelligence, United Imaging and Skymind Neurobionix Research. The system was used at the recently constructed Huoshenshan Hospital in China, in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- John Snow Labs is making all its licensed software – Spark NLP for Healthcare, the Healthcare AI Platform, and the Curated Datasets – available for free to data scientists who are actively tackling COVID-19.
- India-based Wesense.ai has developed a product called Healthsense intended to curb the spread of coronavirus by taking preventive measures and enabling contact free workplaces.
- Deevia uses existing CCTV cameras & CPU-based image/object recognition algorithms to identify whether social distancing protocols are being followed on streets, and providing audio alerts when they aren’t.
- Gnani.AI – has built a voice bot to triage coronavirus-related queries and quarantine calls. The bot is used to differentiate between calls specific to COVID-19 vs. other conditions, and route them appropriately so as not to overload the healthcare system. In a similar vein, Yellow Messenger has deployed their bot on the National Health Authority of India portal to answer queries and provide general information to increase awareness of the disease.
The last few months have brought many new challenges and uncertainties that will require us to have a unified front to overcome them. We are proud of how our partner ecosystem is responding to the needs of our global community. While the future may not be certain right now, we look forward to continued collaboration with our partners to overcome this global pandemic.
¹ The partner solutions shown is intended to be representative only and not a complete or comprehensive list of all AI Builder partner solutions. Not all solutions may be available globally or approved for use across all jurisdictions. See specific partner pages for more information.
² Not all AI Builder partner solutions are approved for sale in all jurisdictions. Some may currently be in the process of obtaining regulatory approval.